Thursday, February 02, 2006

Some details to bear in mind as you write your hebdomadals

I really appreciate the work you all have been putting into writing weekly responses to class reading and lecture, and I've enjoyed the experience of getting to know how you are responding to a text and planning my lessons appropriately! However, looking over some of the hebdomadals I have received so far this week, I've noticed a couple prevalent problems. If you are writing a hebdomadal tonight for class tomorrow, you might look to avoid these problems.
  1. When you quote verse, quote it as verse: this means preserving the line breaks, capitalization, and, if possible, indentation of the original. In a casual-organized response like these hebdomadals it's okay--even advisable--for you to separate every multi-line quotation of a poem from your main text. However, if you would like to incorporate the verse into the main body of your writing, do so thusly: "Twit twit twit twit / Jug jug jug jug jug jug / So rudely forc'd. / Tereu" (ll. 203-6). The /'s separate lines of the poem, and the ll. at the end means "quoted from the following lines." (Verse is cited by line number, prose by page number.) This is an important detail because you should be looking at how Eliot uses line breaks.
  2. Eliot has one l, one t. Oddly enough, this same misspelling arose last semester in regard to George Eliot.
  3. On that note: hebdomadal. The hebdomodel business was a pun, and perhaps it is too early in the semester for puns.
  4. Spelling isn't a big deal--honestly, misspelling is likelier to make me smile than to make me frustrated--but analysis is another matter entirely. Many of the hebdomadals I have seen this week focus on close reading (or even lecture summary) to the exclusion of considering how that close reading helps answer questions the lecturers have posed. Make sure that at least your last two sentences--if not also your first two sentences--tie your close reading to one of the big questions Aaron and Prof. Wolfe have raised this week.
  5. Every word of these hebdomadals is precious: while I have no objection to hearing, in class, about your emotional response to these poems, I'm not sure a written response is the place to describe why and how much you like Eliot's style. (There are exceptions to this: I've received at least one strong hebdomadal this week that ties the author's response to "The Love Song" to Prufrock's preoccupation with being liked. Still, if you choose to write about your personal response please ensure your response ties into a larger claim you are making.)
Reading these second-week hebdomadals I've become a little afraid that I haven't adequately communicated what I am looking for in them--if you have any questions at all about my expectations, I urge you to email me or even to raise the question in class. I'm not trying to be mysterious or cruel with these hebdomadals, but I understand that it's not a style of writing with which you folks are likely to be familiar, and I want to help!